Galaxy Note 7: After 35 cases of the phone catching fire, the company has stopped sales and promised to replace phones that customers have already received.
Weeks after unveiling its latest flagship phone – the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 – and days before its UK launch, the company has suspended sales of the phone.
fter 35 cases of the 5.7-inch screen phone catching fire and an internal investigation, the firm has ceased sales around the world.
“Because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note 7,” it said in a statement.
“For customers who already have Galaxy Note 7 devices, we will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks.”
Samsung said it “acknowledges” the inconvenience caused to customers and it doesn’t know why the devices have been burning up. It is working with suppliers to determine the cause.
my note 7 just caught fire, please send me a new one @samsung
— andy (@AndyYEEEEE) August 31, 2016
First reported by the Yonhap News Agency, it is said Samsung is “expected to announce an unprecedented recall” of the phablet.
An official told the media organisation that a “problematic battery” had been installed in “less than 0.1 per cent of the entire volume sold.”
“Global discussions are under way about matters such as how to deal with products delivered to dealers,” the source explained.